Sergei Kanavsky: none of the projects of the SCO Business Council has been put under the cloth« Back
The business council of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization is one of the central structures of the SCO, which ensures the interaction of governments and business. Its task is to prepare projects for economic cooperation between the member countries of the Organization. His current executive secretary Sergei Kanavsky told about today's activities of the SCO Business Council.
- SCO Business Council supports the implementation of business projects, which are aimed at the development of economic cooperation within the SCO. How this works in practice, and what is your secret to success?
- The Business Council, in fact, - association of business representatives, chambers of commerce, as well as associations of small and medium-sized enterprises, as the most active part of the SCO countries, business circles. The projects supported by the Business Council, as well as the whole areas of cooperation identified as priority, are determined by the tasks set by the heads of state and government at the SCO summits. This combination of business interests and state strategies gives good results.
In practical terms, we rely on the professionalism and authority of the heads of the national parts of the Business Council - this is the guarantee of effective activity of our structure today and in the future.
- In which areas is the most successful cooperation of the partner countries? What areas can be called a priority?
- The priority areas of our work are determined by the documents developed in the framework of the activities of the SCO structures at the meetings of heads of state, heads of government and ministers of economy of our countries.
The main sphere of interest of the Business Council is the economy. But not only one is talking about. Recently, we draw attention to the humanitarian cooperation, interaction in the field of culture and sport. In the economic sphere, the priority for the Business Council was the promotion of trade and especially electronic commerce, the construction and modernization of infrastructure, transport and logistics projects, the sphere of high technology, as well as agriculture and health. Today, these areas are of particular interest.
- What projects did SCO BC succeed this year?
- Our projects are aimed at forming a system of business communications, promoting business, creating tools for interaction. For example, it concerns the creation of common trade and exhibition complexes. With the support of the SCO Business Council, the exhibition grounds in Russia, China and Kazakhstan managed to find a common language and establish cooperation. Another vivid example is the creation of a new system of interaction between electronic trading platforms. In addition, infrastructure projects, such as the creation of a system of industrial parks. In this respect, the Chinese side has a lot of initiatives.
Russian, Kazakh, Kyrgyz enterprises, with the coordinating role of the Business Council, are actively interacting in the field of agriculture, and in many different directions - from the creation of greenhouses to the production of biomaterials.
In general, based on the Business Council in the SCO, a complex system of interaction is built up, which is constantly being improved, expanding, and filling with new meanings. None of the projects announced by us is postponed under the cloak - all are actively working.
- What about the new members of the "SCO family" - observer countries and dialogue partners?
- The Shanghai Cooperation Organization is a new type of structure, where the interests of all its members are equally taken into account. The countries that now are members of the SCO in the rank of observers and dialogue partners are following the activities of the SCO with great attention. They see in it the opportunity to establish relationships, primarily in the business sphere. We actively cooperate with partners from Iran, Belarus, Turkey and Sri Lanka. There are interesting offers from Azerbaijan, Armenia, and Mongolia.
We have very good contacts not only with observer countries and dialogue partners, but also with many "non-Kosovar" regions, where there is interest in cooperation. For example, in the events of our business program, the countries of South-East Asia - Singapore, Malaysia, and the Philippines - participate. They seek to use the opportunities of economic partnership with the SCO countries
- How is the interaction between the SCO BC and the SCO Interbank Association?
- Both of these organizations were established in 2006, based on the results of the decisions of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization heads of state meeting in Shanghai. Today we are actively developing cooperation, forming a common system of interaction and business support with reliance on agreements concluded between us. The Business Council selects and prepares economic projects, the Interbank Association resolves issues related to financing. Constant interaction is established in the format of joint expert sessions, as well as joint high-level events - meetings of the SCO Interbank Association and the SCO Business Council.
- At the summit in Astana, India and Pakistan will become full members of the SCO. How do you assess the possibility of economic cooperation in the expanded membership of the G-8?
- Previously, these countries had observer status, so their business structures were constantly contacted. Now they will come to a qualitatively new level. Representatives of these countries will be able to participate in full participation not only in the work of the Business Council, but also in the work of other SCO structures - in the meetings of the Ministers of Economy and Foreign Trade of the SCO countries.
Many of our joint initiatives in these countries are well known - their representatives took part in the activities of the economic agenda of the SCO. We hope that in the new status, India and Pakistan will discover additional opportunities in this direction.
- What are the plans of the Business Council for the near future?
- Our goal is to create optimal conditions for joint implementation of projects. To this end, we select sources of financing encourage entrepreneurial initiatives, form innovative activities, expand the scope and geography of our work. Interest in cooperation with the SCO member countries is growing all over the world. And this is not accidental: the economic space of the SCO is an excellent place for the application of forces and for achieving success in a variety of spheres.